The UK Government is planning to remove the important protections provided by the migrant domestic worker visa. The result will be an increase in abuse, exploitation and trafficking for domestic servitude.
The Consultation which contains these proposals has now closed but the UK Government has not yet announced any decision. If you want to take action, you can still potentially influence a decision by writing to your MP and expressing you concerns. Here is a template letter.
You can also write directly to the Immigraton Minister Damian Green MP, outlining your concerns about the planned changes to the visa, and urging the Government to:
· Retain the Overseas Domestic Worker visa
· Ensure that all overseas domestic workers have the right to change employer including those in diplomatic households
· Ensure that Migrant domestic workers have legal recognition as workers
· Ensure domestic workers who are in full-time domestic employment are able to apply to renew their visas
· Ensure domestic workers retain the right to apply for settlement
Address: Damian Green MP, Minister for Immigration, Home Office,
2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF