Friday 4 March 2011

Cecilia's experience -coming to the UK with diplomatic employers

'Cecilia' (not her real name) arrived in the UK around three years ago, accompanying her diplomatic employers; she secured the job through a cousin.

'When I first heard of the job I was so excited. I thought this was a wonderful opportunity. I am from a poor family and was unable to finish school. I was in my early 20s and felt that I had no opportunities and I wanted to be able to send money to my family so that my brothers and sisters could continue to study. 

My employers told me that we would travel to a different country and they would arrange everything. They told me that there I would earn a lot of money to support my family and that after the first two years I would be able to study part time. I believed that because they are wealthy and respected people I should trust them and that everything would be okay. I didn't know how much I would be paid but I felt unable to ask or question them.

To protect the confidentiality of individual domestic workers who come to Kalayaan, Cecilia’s story is made up of a composite of real case studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment